-d&c 30:11

"And your whole labor shall be in Zion, with all your soul, from henceforth; yea, you shall ever open your mouth in my cause, not fearing what man can do, for I am with you." d&c 30:11

Saturday, March 29, 2014

WEEK 6: On the Downhill

Today I woke up and realized there are only 19 more days in missionary paradise!! We're on the downhill from now on! EEEK! Am I ready? Nope. 
But that's okay. Because I know that the Lord qualifies those that He calls. So, I have faith that in these next two weeks I will feel a tiny bit more prepared.
This past week was one for the books. I had the amazing opportunity to escape into the real world. I accompanied one of my companions to a doctor's appointment and so I caught a little glimpse of what it might be like to be a real world missionary. But really. Here's the story:
So, I was waiting outside of the restroom for my companion and a lady came up behind me....so  my heart began to pound, my throat became dry and I got so nervous!! But then I was like pull it together, you've gotta do this you're a missionary. So I started a casual conversation with the intent of turning it into some wonderful discussion about how she has a loving Heavenly Father that knows her personally. But only about 30 seconds in she comes right up close to me and looks and my badge and says, "Oh you're from China?"
and before she could let me say " I am a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I am going to Hong Kong to share the message of the restored gospel"...She must have thought I was some awkward foreigner or something and booked it out of there....
But on the bright side, being in Provo, I had the opportunity to chat with so many members and they are all so kind!! We got offered so many rides and had so many people act so excited to see us!! Even though I experienced my first rejection..sort of...I still cannot wait to meet real people who need the gospel in their lives.
On a more spiritual note...Mom, Thank you for the package and especially thank you for sending me the books that I forgot. I really want to share this story because I am so touched and think it is just beautiful!
The day of my farewell one of my relatives who served in Hong Kong told me about her sister who also served in Hong Kong. Shortly after her sister's mission to Hong Kong, she passed away. I was given a box full of books and things that the sister used on her mission and my relative told me that while I would be serving my mission in Hong Kong, her sister is serving a mission on the other side of the veil. Some of the things in the box were her bible, her hymn book, her scripture flash cards and some other missionary books. I brought what I could fit in my suitcase and wondered if I would ever get to the point that I could understand what they said. These past few weeks, I have felt the prescence of angels helping me along the way. In the scriptures we are promised, as missionaries, that angels will be walking by our sides every step of our mission. You know what? That is absolutely true. I often wonder, how am I speaking this language? Maybe because my Chinese ancestors are helping me to learn their language and they are the angels that are walking beside me every step of the way. My mother sent me the Hymn book that I left behind from my relative and when I opened it and looked down at these strange words that just a few weeks ago had no meaning to me, I was overwhelmed because  these words now have meaning to me. These are the words of the people I will serve. This is the language of people our Heavenly Father loves. I know that Heavenly Father needs me to accomplish this calling He has given me, so He sends His angels to be by my side. I wrote my name underneath where Mong Jimuih had written hers because I know she is with me.
The mission is a beautiful thing, everyday is a little overwhelming, but it is such a blessing to experience so much growth. I know we have a Savior who has felt all of our pains. To feel His love is the greatest feeling on this Earth. Don't turn away from the Savior any longer, Come unto Christ and feel of His love.
2 Nephi 33:10

I love you all!!
-Wong Jimuih

No comments:

Post a Comment