Hello everyone!!!! I am on the other side of the world!!! Can you believe it?? Because I can't!!!
I just took a ride on the MTR, pushed myself past thousands of little Chinese people, and squeezed through the wet marked to get to a computer so I could email you all about what happened this week! ...Do you know what the wet market is? it's the market where they sell meat...as in furry cow legs, pigs feet, whole skinned ducks, and live fishies. and they have it all hanging up around you and you have to dodge your way around it so you don't touch it. Do you understand? if you think you do...you don't, because it is GROSS and I can't even explain it to you!!! It was the scariest thing I have done so far!! And so now I am sitting in the back of a little market on a computer emailing while a chinese lady is singing loudly....and it smells like fish and strange food...but all is well!!
| My fav teacher Sister Yu. |
But....I made it safely to Hong Kong!! After many tearful goodbyes to my AMAZING teachers and to my new life long missionary friends, we left the MTC at 3 am monday morning!! It was a sweet treat to be able to see my mountains again and take a little "walk" down memory lane. And and even sweeter treat was being able to talk to my sweet family!!! Guys, I LOVE you!!!! I LOVE you so so much!!! It was amazing to hear from my cute little family and to hear all the wonderful things they are doing!!
| Our faces after 14 hours of flying and realizing we are in HK! |
We took a tiny little plain to LA for a five hour layover and then hopped on a giant plain for a 14 hour flight to Hong Kong!!! I lucked out because my seats were next to some Elders from my district so I wasn't bored out of my mind for the whole flight! Because remember...we can't watch movies or listen to the music...so we had to find other ways to pass the time...such as taking hourly walks around the plane, attempting to sleep-with no success, and talking about everything in the world and at the same time trying to contain our excitement about finally arriving in Hong Kong!!! It was the funnest thing ever.
| My district and I at patron housing- our last time together. |
When we saw Hong Kong we were bouncing off the walls....except the runway is right off the ocean and you can't see the land at all when you are in the airplane....so when we were descending, it literally looked like we were going to crash into the water...so we prayed our little missionary hearts out and then felt dumb because we landed perfectly fine. We got off the plane and humidity hit us like a brick wall. then my clothes stuck to my body and my hair poofed up and I was ready to meet the Mission President at the gate. They drove us back to the mission home which is underneath the temple...oh and did I mention they drive on the wrong side of the road!!!??? AH. so scary!!!! the whole car ride I just hung on for dear life!! we had dessert with the President and his wife. they are so so sweet!!! Then, we slep across the street at Patron housing. We slept on bunkbeds that were basically just plywood and our roommates were from India, the Mainland, and Japan. They came to HK to attend the temple!! They took good care of us.
We woke up the next morning for some training and then went out "finding" with the local missionaries. Ya. They took us finding our first day in HK!!! It wasn't scary at all.........NOT!!! But it is okay because I can't speak the language, but the Spirit can!!
| My trainer in our tiny kitchen... |
The next morning we met our trainers!!! Are you ready to hear about my trainer??? Okay. She is Sister Escabarte!!!!!! She is Philippina. She speaks 5 different languages. She is 23. She cooks me the best food everynight for dinner--soooooo I may come home very chubby.,.....not sure how I feel about that. Her Canto is flawless. She has 8 weeks left on her mission. And she is the sweetest person ever!!! She has been praying for the opportunity to train for a while now and her pray was answered :) I LOVE her!! Yesterday she told me that when we are sad when we go finding, she looks at me and thinks "oh my little angel" which is ironic becuase I am not little-she is almost 2 feet shorter. I am huge. And I used to think I was tan....but no. I am white. And all the locals can tell that I am asian and they get so happy that I am a mix. It's cute!! So, ya. I am so blessed to have her as my trainer. It was so so so hard to say goodbye to my MTC district. They became my best friends and it will be a while before I can see some of them again....but wait!!! Not Pong! He is in my ward and I get to see him everyday! Yay!!! The others have blessed my life in more ways than I can express, but I love to think that we will all be united under the same smoggy HK sky :)
| Me and my trainer! |
| Hey look!! Chausyu Bau!!!!!! |
HK is crazy crazy crazy!!! If you look at pictures of it online...it looks exactly the same. The buildings are massive. My comp keeps laughing at me because we live on the 40th floor...ya 40th and it isn't even the top...and I always look down and gasp because I think I am getting afraid of heights. It's a little bit scary. Our apartment is as big as my bedroom at home, literally. I sleep on the top bunk and I have to stick my feet through the bars at the end of the bed so that I will fit because the bed is so tiny!!
But the food is awesome!! So far I haven't eaten anything new...just cuz I am Asian, you know? I'm pretty used to it! I had dim sum for lunch!!!! Yum yum yum!!!!
| DRAGON FRUIT IS THE BEST!!!!! |
Yesterday was my first Sacrament meeting and it was Amazing!!!!! I love going to church because everyone is so nice to you! I had to talk....which was probs the most intimidating things ever. The congregation kind of just laughed and smiled. Oh and also......they made us sing in sacrament meeting!! Me and my companion and the elders. Oh, man. That was embarrassing.
-Sister Warner
No comments:
Post a Comment